EXETER — As a sophomore last year, Bobby Lugiano busted onto the high school golf scene by earning multiple medalist honors and winning the Class 2A portion of the Wyoming Valley Conference Pre-district Tournament.
A year later and more experienced, Lugiano wasn’t going to surprise anyone this time around. But he didn’t have to.
On Monday, he had a more impressive showing at Fox Hill Country Club than last year, improving by five strokes and repeating as tournament titlist shooting a 73.
The junior was one of four winners crowned on Monday. MMI Prep’s Jessica McClellan repeated as Class 2A girls champion.
A pair of first-time champions were crowned in the other two classifications as Dallas freshman Logan Paczewski blew away the competition in the Class 3A boys event, and Hazleton Area junior Marin Dremock claimed her first high school tournament by earning the top prize for 3A girls.
All winners along with 40 other golfers advanced to the District 2 Individual Championships next Monday at Elmhurst Country Club.
“Today I was just striking the ball fairly well. I was playing fairways and greens. I couldn’t make a lot of putts, but I made the ones that counted,” said Lugiano who birdied the 16th hole after wedging the ball within five feet of the pin close to the end of his round to conclude on a good note. “I’ve gotten a lot more consistent (this year). I practiced a lot in the offseason to get ready for this year.”
Paczewski, the Mountaineers’ freshman phenom, who claimed the Tryba Tournament title last month, scored 4-under 67 and was the only golfer in the field of 100 to break par. He won by five strokes over the second-place finisher, his teammate Matt Dolan.
One of the biggest shots of the day for Paczewski came on hole No. 14 when his drive veered right after getting caught up in the wind, but he somehow punched it out of the rough and recovered to nail a birdie. He carried that momentum by sinking a birdie on No. 15.
“It could have turned into a bogey just like that, but you get lucky sometimes,” Paczewski said. “After that hole I was like ‘Alright, I got it now’ because after that I only had two more holes left.”
McClellan also won big, scoring a 79 and besting the field by six strokes for her third straight Pre-district title. She is one of just three girls in Class 2A advancing to districts.
Dremock finished four shots ahead of teammate Grace Babinchak and Crestwood’s Evie Williams with a score of 87 to pick up her first tournament title. Seven girls in Class 3A advanced to districts.
Dallas led all schools with eight golfers advancing to districts, consisting of seven boys – nearly half the field of qualifiers – and one girl. A ninth would-be qualifier, Cooper Kelley, lost in a playoff for the last spot to Coughlin’s Matt Hamel.
“That’s pretty impressive,” Paczewski said. “Just bringing 11 kids and having (eight) qualify is ridiculous because just to have 11 kids who break bogey golf nearly every time they play is impressive.”
Holy Redeemer led Class 2A with six district qualifiers, consisting of four of the top eight scorers in Class 2A led by Martin Cryan, who finished one stroke behind Lugiano.
Notes: The WVC Team Playoffs, originally slated for Wednesday at Fox Hill, has been pushed back until Friday at the same location. In Class 3A, Dallas will play Hazleton Area for the right to advance to the District 2 Team Championships on Oct. 5. In Class 2A, Holy Redeemer plays either Wyoming Seminary or MMI Prep. The latter two are tied and are scheduled to play on Tuesday, with the winner advancing to face Redeemer.
WVC PRE-DISTRICT TOURNAMENT
Class 2A Boys
1. Bobby Lugiano, Lake-Lehman`36-37-73
2. Martin Cryan, Holy Redeemer ` 41-33-74
3. Jeremy Callahan, Wyoming Seminary `38-38-76
4. Derek Answini, Holy Redeemer ` 40-40-80
4. Zach Evans, Berwick ‘40-40-80
4. Bobby Wilson, Wyoming Seminary`40-40-80
7. Matt Williams, Holy Redeemer`38-43-81
7. Kip Miller, Holy Redeemer`37-44-81
9. Tanner Harry, Lake-Lehman`46-38-84
9. Michael Sholtis, Lake-Lehman 40-44-84
11. Andrew Maddock, Wyoming Seminary`40-45-85
12. Sean Boland, Holy Redeemer`41-45-86
12. Sergei Scaramastro, Holy Redeemer`44-42-86
12. Christian Momnack, MMI Prep`42-44-86
15. Adam Rogers, Wyoming Seminary`42-46-88
15. Greg Godlewski, Wyoming Seminary`45-43-88
15. Cole Coolbaugh, Wyoming Area`41-47-88
*18. Noah Long, MMI Prep`46-45-91
18. Weston Arndt, Berwick`46-45-91
Class 2A Girls
1. Jessica McClellan, MMI Prep`37-42-79
2. Kyleen McCance, Hanover Area`42-43-85
3. Brooke Martin, Lake-Lehman`57-53-100
Class 3A Boys
1. Logan Paczewski, Dallas`34-33-67
2. Matt Dolan, Dallas`38-34-72
3. Tyler Faux, Tunkhannock`36-38-74
4. Jordan Pick, Hazleton Area`36-39-75
4. Jeremy Harper, Crestwood`38-37-75
6. Ethan Zawatski, Dallas`36-40-76
7. Colin Bowanko, Dallas`37-39-78
8. Brett Ostroski, Dallas`37-42-79
9. Nick Scavo, Pittston Area`42-41-83
9. Dylan Mislevy, Tunkhannock`41-42-83
9. Kyle McAndrew, Dallas`38-45-83
9. Freddie Lombardo, Dallas`39-44-83
13. Coby Gilpin, Tunkhannock`41-43-84
13. Brady Antolick, Hazleton Area`42-42-84
15. Joey Rebarchick, Hazleton Area`43-43-86
*16. Matt Hamel, Coughlin`46-43-89
16. Casey Davidson, Crestwood`39-50-89
16. Cooper Kelley, Dallas`43-46-89
Class 3A Girls
1. Marin Dremock, Hazleton Area`41-46-87
2. Grace Babinchak, Hazleton Area`47-44-91
2. Evie Williams, Crestwood`43-48-91
4. Olivia Donnini, Crestwood`48-47-95
5. Madyson Pendolphi, Dallas`46-50-96
5. Sara Hall, Crestwood`47-49-96
7. Michelle Bernetski, Crestwood`51-49-100
*— advanced to districts winning via playoff
Reach Times Leader sports at 570-829-7143 or on Twitter @TLsports