DALLAS TWP. — Misericordia University is offering a full schedule of classes and camps for youngsters, teenagers and adults beginning as early as May 14 that will add some fun and learning to their summer.
“Introduction to Digital Photography and Photoshop,” for those 15 and older, begins July 10. The course will provide the basics on how to take photos with a digital camera or smartphone and edit using Photoshop and other photo processing techniques.
Discover the art of jewelry making in two innovative classes. “Intro to Metals” will offer basic metal-smithing techniques, including cutting with a jewelry handsaw, piercing, soldering and finishing techniques to create wearable art. The five-week class is from 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning June 19. The second class, “Simple Stone Setting,” will build on the Intro to Metals class to offer stone setting for one-of-a-kind designs. Classes run Tuesdays, July 24-Aug. 21.
“Therapy Dog Preparation Class” is a six-week course for qualified dogs, which will provide handlers the opportunity to learn and practice basic skills for their dogs to become therapy dogs. To be eligible for training, dogs must meet a list of qualifications. Sessions begin July 12.
“Clay by Hand and Pottery Wheel” for those 14 and older, offers three eight-week class options beginning June 11. Instruction will include hand-building and pottery wheel skills, and decorative and glazing techniques. Online registration is available at www.misericordia.edu/adultclay.
Misericordia is hosting a “Golf-Fit League” on Tuesdays from May 22 through Aug. 14 at Lehman Golf Club. Offering fitness along with golf fun, this is a nine-hole walking course, where hand-pulled carts are permitted. Registration includes a golf shirt and prizes. For details, contact Mark DiPippa at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570-991-8371.
“Fitness 101: Getting Started,” is a class for those looking for help getting started in a fitness regimen. Classes begin July 11. In addition, a full schedule of aerobics, cardio and strength training classes, along with water aerobics, begins May 14.
The special Lunch and Learn Series features two free personal development and growth programs that help participants deal with life’s events. “Relationships Matter: Strategies for Building Successful Relationships at Work … that Work!” is from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, July 11. The second free program is “Foundations of Investing,” a 30-minute educational program is from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15 that is geared to people who want an overview of investing.
There are five sports camps for youngsters on the schedule:
• Baseball Camp for Boys ages 7-12 is July 9-13 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Tambur Field. For information, contact Coach Pete Egbert, head baseball coach, at 570-674-6471 or email email@example.com.
• Basketball Camp for Boys ages 7-15 is June 18-22 from 9 a.m. to noon in the Anderson Center. For information, contact Coach Willie Chandler, head men’s basketball coach, at 570-674-6317 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Basketball Camp for Girls ages 8-15 is July 9-13 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Anderson Center. For information, contact Coach Jason Rhine, head women’s basketball coach, at 570-674-3367 or email email@example.com.
• Cougar Field Hockey Camp for ages 7-16 is June 25-29 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. For information, contact Robyn Fedor Stahovic, head field hockey coach, at 570-674-6491 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cougar Soccer Success Camp, a co-ed camp for ages 7-14, is July 2-6 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., under the direction of Mark Stauffer, head women’s soccer coach, and Andrew Loughnane, head men’s soccer coach at Misericordia University. For more information, contact Coach Stauffer at 570-674-6492 or email email@example.com.
Detailed information on sports camps, Fun and Fitness programs, fees and registration deadlines, along with a brochure with a registration form that you can download, is available at www.misericordia.edu/funandfitness or by calling the Center for Adult and Continuing Education at 570-674-6289.
In addition to the Fun and Fitness schedule, a series of six Career Exploration Camps for students entering 11th and 12th grades is available. The Career Exploration Camps include fields in biology, communications and media, literature, occupational therapy and speech-language pathology from June 24-27. The Chemistry-Biochemistry Sciences Career Exploration Camp is June 24-26. For more information on the career exploration camps, go online to www.misericordia.edu/camps or contact Rachel Oberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570-674-8023.