Only Yesterday: Land purchase in 1948 made way for textile plant

Compiled by Kim Rollman - For Dallas Post

20 YEARS AGO — 1998

Coordinators of the annual Riverside Rumble race, sponsored by the John Heinz Institute, awarded volunteers from Dallas High School with a plaque expressing their appreciation. More than 300 students showed up on race day to help with a variety if duties. Students who participated at the plaque ceremony are Jayson Pope, Matt Kertesz, Sara Podehl, Tim Herbert and Ann Bishop.

Brownie Troop 648 went to the Shavertown Volunteer Fire Station during Fire Prevention Week. Deputy Chief Jerry Paxton and Assistant Chief Tony Kaiser took the girls on a tour of the fire house and showed them the new aerial ladder truck. As part of the girls’ community service project, they collected cans and brought them to the fire station. Troop members who participated are Kelci Gibbons, Michelle Gibbons, Jillian Spring, Kristen Justice, Emily Karalunas, Lindsey Davenport, Lindsay Szalkowski, Kylee Besecker, Amy Polachek, Nichole Rave, Marie Foti, Lauren Ziminksi, Sara Luke and Emily Polachek.

30 YEARS AGO — 1988

Three members of the local Rollaway Skating Club of Dallas placed first in competition at JR’s Skateaway in Reading recently. Daniel Rogers won first place in boys freestyle; George Manzoni took first in sub-sophomore men artistic skating; and Nicole Hall was first in J.O. artistic skating for girls 12 years and under. Manzoni and Hall are students of Pro Tony Berger, Rollaway Rink manager; Rogers is a student of Pro Al Taglang.

The Back Mountain Kiwanis Club sponsored the formation of a Builders Club at Lake-Lehman Junior High School. The club received its charter and banner in a recent ceremony at the school. The ceremony was conducted by Phil Tuhy, Kiwanis Lt. Governor, and Reese Pelton, Past Lt. Governor. Those involved in the ceremony included Rose Mary Zbiek, Key Club Faculty Advisor; Lori Davo, Kim Barber, Tracy Krupa, Shelly Alexander, all Builders Club officers; Jo Anne Kelly, Key Club President; Mrs. Barbara Schulde, Builders Club Faculty Advisor; John Rogers, Kiwanis Key Club Advisor, John Oliver, Principal; and John Tasco, Kiwanis President.

40 YEARS AGO — 1978

Thirteen members of Dallas Brownie Troop 717 received their pins at an investiture ceremony earlier this month at Trinity United Presbyterian Church. Members are Heather Lawley, Kim Morgan, Meg Bevevino, Sandy Johnson, Lori Fuller, Deana Johnson, Erin Culleney, Chrystaline Bell, Terri Ferrarra, Heather Landau, Lisa Sharkness, Jennifer Banks and Christine Harvey.

Lorraine Kotsull presented awards to the winners of the recent jelly bean contest at The Book Shelf, Shavertown. There were three divisions: preschool, grades one through three, and fourth grade and up. Winners were Trisha Tuzinski, Rich Gdovin and Karen Niskey.

50 YEARS AGO — 1968

Nine members of the Lake-Lehman High School, Band have been selected by audition to attend the Northeastern District Band at Pocono Mountain Joint School, Swiftwater, later this month. Chosen through tryouts at Clarks Summit were the following: Joann Wesoloski, clarinet; Sandra Splitt, clarinet; Suzanne Gutch, clarinet; Elizabeth Zbick, clarinet; Sharon Leinthall, cornet; Paul Niezoda, cornet; James Zbick, trumpet; Robert Wolfe, trombone; and Steward Calkins, drums.

Bruce Hopkins is currently appearing in “Diary of Anne Frank” at Bloomsburg State College, Bloomsburg. The play is being produced by the Bloomsburg Players. Bruce, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Fay Hopkins of Dallas and a graduate of Dallas Senior High School in 1965, is a speech and theatre major in Secondary Education at Bloomsburg. He is president of the Bloomsburg Players and has appeared in five of their productions.

60 YEARS AGO — 1958

Coin cards have been received for the annual Dallas Community Ambulance Drive, and workers will be supplied with them on Sunday after the meeting of the Ambulance Board at Dallas Borough Building. Coin cards will hold 16 quarters, a weekly donation for four months, which makes operation of the ambulance possible, with enough laid aside in the sinking fund to finance a new ambulance in the near future. Charles Flack, New Goss Manor, is chairman of the drive.

At a meeting of Troop 121, Trucksville Girl Scouts held at the home of Mrs. Robert Tippett last Tuesday, Mrs. William Gritman was chosen committee chairman and Mrs. Leo Philo, Mrs. John Ridall, Mrs. Mary Ann Brooking and Mrs. William Blazes committee members.

A shadow play arranged to music was presented by Cub Scouts, Den 1, Pack 200, at their meeting at Prince of Peace Church Thursday night. Taking part were Henry Cooper, Harold Federici, Reese Finn, Thomas Finn and John Gager.

70 YEARS AGO — 1948

Purchase of seventeen acres of ground in the Fernbrook Park area, including Fernbrook Park, from Wilkes-Barre Railway Corporation for the erection of a giant new textile plant employing between 450 and 500 persons with annual payroll of more than $1,000,000 was confirmed this week by Robert Bair, Assistant Treasurer of Bloomsburg Mills. In addition to the plant, Mr. Bair said the firm will probably build a number of homes for its supervisory employees and may even embark on a rather ambitious home building program. The Bloomsburg firm, established in 1885, is one of the best known in the industry, and is engaged in weaving and throwing rayon cloth and dress goods.

Swerving to avoid a lump of ice in the road, Leslie Warhola, general manager of Dallas-Shavertown Water Company, received several cuts over the eyes but escaped serious injury when his 1947 Hudson sedan skidded Sunday morning and was demolished against the guard rails near the overhead bridge on Memorial Highway.

Loren Keller was chosen superintendent and William Evans assistant superintendent of Idetown Methodist Sunday School at a recent meeting of the Church and Sunday School Boards. Other officers: secretary, Paul Parrish; assistant secretary, Dorothy Meade; treasurer, Mrs. Edith Boice; missions, Mrs. Wesley Hilbert; temperance, Mrs. Hope Ide; pianist, Mrs. Marilyn

Compiled by Kim Rollman

For Dallas Post

The Dallas Post is 129 years old. Information appearing here is printed exactly as it first appeared.

The Dallas Post is 129 years old. Information appearing here is printed exactly as it first appeared.