By Samantha Weaver
• It was Scotsman Bertie Charles Forbes, journalist and founder of Forbes magazine, who made the following sage observation: There is more credit and satisfaction in being a first-rate truck driver than in being a tenth-rate executive.
• The prospectors of 1849 might not have realized it, but you're more likely to find a 5-carat diamond than a 1-ounce nugget of gold.
• Coffee beans are actually seeds. The fruit of the coffee tree is called a cherry and are said to be delicious. They spoil too quickly to be marketed effectively, though, so only the seeds are used.
• All joking aside, those who study such things say that natural blondes tend to have more difficulty driving than those whose hair is of a darker hue - at night, anyway. The reason? Most natural blondes also have blue eyes, which aren't as good as brown eyes at shielding out light. This means that blondes tend to be more easily blinded by the headlights of oncoming cars.
• When a professional football player retires, there's a 50-50 chance he'll get divorced within a year.
Thought for the day: Any frontal attack on ignorance is bound to fail, because the masses are always ready to defend their most precious possession - their ignorance. - Hendrik Willem van Loon